THIS LETTER CONTAINS ALL IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT INFORMATION FOR ALL TEAMS. PLEASE GET IT OUT TO ALL PLAYERS BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT.
The 44th annual Can-Am Rugby Tournament is right around the corner and once again the tournament Board has been working all year to host yet another outstanding event. We have ordered good weather for the weekend (Mother Nature is not playing too nice this year), and are looking forward to some great rugby. We welcome back all the returning teams and welcome all new teams. We have made some great changes and additions to the tournament which we think everyone will be pleased with.
- ATTENDANCE: If your team is no longer planning to attend the 2017 tournament, please notify me ASAP. At this time, there are NO refunds and NO transfers to next year.
- TEAM NUMBERS: If your team is light on numbers and you need bodies, please let me know so we can get that information out. There are many players who attend the tournament looking for pick-up games.
- TEAM CONTACT: It is very important that your team provide me with the contact for the weekend – including team name, contact name, email, cell phone. I need a cell phone so we can contact teams should scheduling or weather issues arise during the weekend. I can only contact you with changes and updates if I have a contact number. If you are the contact for your team and have been receiving emails, I already have your contact information so there is no need to contact me.
- CLUB WAIVER: EVERY Team will need to complete the team waiver PRIOR to the tournament (one waiver per team). Download the waiver. ALL players must sign it. Print the waiver, have players complete information, scan or take a picture of the completed waiver and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE the tournament begins. Referees will be aware and games will be held up or canceled if a team has not completed a waiver. All teams advancing to Sunday championship games at the final field will need to complete an additional waiver.
- TOURNAMENT UPDATES: Be sure to follow the tournament on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Website for any and all tournament updates. Event hashtag: #CanAmRugbyTournament
- The 2017 Game Schedule will be available online beginning Wednesday morning. There will be no printed schedules this year. Schedule boards will be located at both Saranac Lake fields (Friday & Saturday) and Lake Placid fields (Saturday). All Teams are guaranteed a minimum of 2 games, unless opposing team fails to show up for a scheduled game – resulting in a forfeit. Realize that the tournament cannot control this situation.
- DIVISIONS: There will be both a CLUB and SOCIAL division for men and women. Teams will be placed into divisions based on past tournament play as well as league play during the year. Be advised the tournament decides what division a team plays in to ensure the highest quality of rugby.
- 5th Annual Quad Rugby: USA and Canadian teams will be playing Friday and Saturday at the Lake Placid Training Center. Please come out and support your fellow ruggers. More information can be found on the tournament website and Facebook.
- RHINO is this year’s major sponsor and clothing provider. They will have tents set up at all locations throughout the tournament.
- FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid will be offered Saturday from 7pm-2am. The drop of locations will be available online as well as at the fields throughout the weekend. As in past years, law enforcement will be setting up random check points throughout the weekend and it is not worth it, so put the keys away and be smart.
- EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS may occur that delay or cancel games – affecting the overall tournament schedule. The tournament will have a weather policy and procedure protocol in place throughout the event so that teams are prepared for delays, cancellations, or any other extreme conditions. It is ALL teams’ responsibility to be aware of delay protocol
- REGISTRATION for the 2018 Can-Am Rugby Tournament (Aug 3-5, 2018) will be Sunday @ NCCC Field 12-2p. There will be a new online registration process and we will no longer be utilizing PayPal. Teams will see an increase in registration fees for the 2018 tournament and it is a positive result of the additional services the tournament is and will continue to provide. 2018 Can-Am Tournament Registration Price: $750
- PARKING: The local police department is asking players and fans to be mindful of local residences and park in designated spots. Please do not block driveways or park in non-spots. Cars will be towed at owner’s expense.
- Field maps with numbers and parking maps can be found here.
- DRINKING/SMOKING/DOGS: NY State Law for ALL School fields is tobacco free, dog free, and alcohol free. There is NO alcohol, NO dogs, and NO tobacco allowed on ANY tournament fields. Violators will be asked to leave. Therapy Dogs must have papers accompanying the dog and available when requested.
- SUNDAY FINALS @ NCCC FIELD: be advised that there will be professional security staff throughout the campus checking coolers and bags. NO COOLERS or alcohol will be allowed this year. It is a college requirement if we are to continue to holding finals here. There will be a beer garden where any person 21 years of age or older may purchase beer or alcohol.
- TEAMS ADVANCING TO SUNDAY FIELDS: It is the responsibility of ALL teams playing in the finals to complete and turn in a team roster prior to final game. ALL teams will also need to complete an additional waiver for the college. Waivers will be provided in advance.
- SHOWING UP TO SCHEDULED GAMES: In the past, teams making it through to Sunday playoffs and championships have been no shows. Teams not showing up for ANY scheduled game will not be allowed to register for the 2018 tournament and if the tournament deems appropriate, may be fined.
- YOUTH RUGBY CLINIC: Morris Women’s and Men’s Rugby will once again be assisting us in hosting a youth touch rugby clinic. There will be a clinic in both Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. Cost is $5 per child. There will be an exhibition game during the finals at NCCC on Sunday. More Information here.
- SUNDAY FINALS WILL BE AIRED ON RUGBY CHANNEL: The final games will be played at the NCCC Field and the final 3 games will be filmed. They will be aired LIVE on the Rugby Channel.
During the finals, we will once again pay tribute to our fallen rugby players, soldiers, and law enforcement personnel. Please email me the names of rugby players who are no longer with us, make sure to include your team name as well.
- BEHAVIOR ON AND OFF THE FIELD: The tournament board wants to remind ALL players, teams, supporters, and families while they are here that any disrespectful or unacceptable behavior on and off the field will jeopardize your attendance at this year’s tournament and ALL future tournaments. This is our year round community and we continue to work very hard to gain the support of the local residents – please be mindful and respectful.
Again, please contact me with any questions (other than when the schedule will be available). Safe travels and we will see you in 2 weeks. Bring the warm sunny weather with you!
Can-Am Tournament President